Saturday, December 5, 2009

Making a List

I move out of this room in a week. I have never lived somewhere for so short a period of time, and it is amazing how quickly it has become my home. I started thinking of all the things I am going to miss (and not miss) and what I am looking forward to when I move.


I will miss how many faces I look forward to seeing in the kitchen multiple times a day.
I will miss the conversations that take so many hours away from us.
I will miss tea and biscuit breaks.
I will miss impromptu movie nights.
I will miss living in such a close vicinity to the library, my lectures, football training, and the pub.
I will miss having more friends than time to spend with them.
I will miss how it is always warm when I come home.
I will miss the male energy.

I will not miss the obliviousness of boys, who turn and leave lights on, leave the fridge open, leave the dirty sponge on top of the clean dishes.
I will not miss the buzzing of florescent lighting.
I will not miss the crumbs in the kitchen or the trails of food, evidence of consumption.
I will not miss Mary the cleaner's voice booming early in the morning or the pungency of her prefume.
I will not miss loud voices outside my window.
I will not miss the electric hobs on the stove.

I look forward to serious girl talk.
I look forward to hosting friends in my new home.
I look forward to having an oven.
I look forward to my huge room.
I look forward to being closer to the city center.
I look forward to getting my money's worth out of my bus pass.
I look forward to the pubs.
I look forward to having a sofa.




Before I take them down.

I like the transitory nature of my situation. It enables me to appreciate more and not dwell on as much. I have so many things to look forward to in the coming months. I should finish my essays so that they get here faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment