Saturday, December 26, 2009

A White Christmas

When I left Northumberland, Nick's parents insisted on walking me into the train station because I was anxious about my journey. I hadn't traveled alone since I arrived in England 3 months ago. I got teary eyed saying goodbye. I had to cross over a bridge to get to my platform, and when I looked back, they were still watching me go. They are probably the nicest family I have ever met.


I took the train from Newcastle to London King's Cross, where I had to take the tube to London Liverpool St. before transferring to a train to Essex to see Lois.


The view from the train was so spectacular, that I didn't even want to read the last 50 pages of Isabel Allende's Eva Luna (my favorite book of all time, re-read and reconfirmed 6 years after first reading) fearing I would miss something. I was in such a content and happy place on that train ride. I had a lunch packed, it was warm, my heart was full. The snowy hillsides were riveting. I realized then that I would experience moments in the near future that would not be as blissful as that train ride, but it all comes in turn.


View from the train


It was 11 o'clock in the afternoon, and Newcastle isn't that far north, which was why I couldn't understand why it looked like the sun was setting. There turned out to be a power plant in the distance.

Transferring at Liverpool St. was easy, and when I arrived in Braintree, I saw Lois on the platform. I love traveling by train.


Snowy park in Colchester where Lois and I went to the spa.



Chelmsford Cathedral


Beautiful bread market in Chelmsford where we did Christmas shopping and watched Avatar.

After Essex I moved into my new house, which was a little scary. It is enormous and old, and with that comes scary sounds intensified with night and imagination. But I made my beautiful new room a safe haven to spend the night. The next day I took another train to Lowestoft to spend Christmas with Will and his family and friends, which was full of adventures impossible to articulate. Hopefully I can rely on my memories. Currently my brain is writhing with them. In a good way.


Boys live here.

1 comment:

  1. good post. I ate up every word. The train ride sounds really relaxing and pleasant, exactly what I would need if I was starting a new adventure. The bread market looks delicious, I hope that isn't to far away from your place, totally get some fresh bread every morning. Looks like good times Roseanne. Merry Christmas.

    -Edmund

    ReplyDelete